Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Picnic Baskets & Hand Pies

What you need to do today...
 is to grab your picnic basket
and make
 these Hand Pies


Ham, Gruyere & Onion
Hand Pies

2 medium white onions sliced into 1/2-inch think crescents
1/2 pound ham, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
2 teaspoons salt
Pinch of pepper
1 teaspoon firmly packed brown sugar
2-1/2 cups (10oz) shredded Gruyere cheese (can use Swiss)
Your favorite crust recipe (or boughten!)
1 egg lightly beaten

preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
Line baking sheet with parchment paper

In large frying pan cook onions on high heat

stirring frequently, adding small amounts of water as needed 
until onions are softened and light brown ~ around 8-10 minutes

Add ham and continue cooking on high, stirring until ham begins to brown,
about 5 minutes.  Remove ham mixture from heat,
toss with salt, pepper brown sugar and cheese
set aside and let cool for 10-15 minutes.

Cut 8 - 6" circles from your pie dough.
Re-roll dough scraps to make all circles,
being careful to avoid overhandeling the dough

Brush each circle lightly with beaten egg,
Spoon filling evenly onto the center of the circles.
 Fold the circle like a taco and tightly pinch the edges using a fork.

Make 3 small slits in the top and place on baking sheet.
Lightly brush the tops with remaining beaten egg.
Bake for 20-30minute until the crust is golden brown.


Now get out there
and enjoy the beautiful day! 

7 comments:

Sherri said...

Those hand pies sound awesome!!! I wish I could have a picnic today, but alas I'm at work! Have a good one!

Blondie's Journal said...

Delicious! Perfect for a picnic. I love those baskets, too! :)

XO,
Jane

Leah said...

Just copied/pasted this recipe...thanks summer kitchen girls.
I love the shiny "junk" on your last post too.
Cheers,
Leah

sweetvintageofmine said...

Those painted baskets are adorable! I have always left them natural but I like the painted look better! LOVE the Hand PIES but my HUBBY would want FRUIT in his! I like this recipe tho....from one sweetie to another~~~Roxie

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

Hi Girls!

What darling picnic baskets - love them in white! Gives me an idea to renew my 2 vintage picnic baskets. And the hand pies... I've been on the military diet for 3 days and I could jump through the screen and snatch them off the plate!!LOL But what a great idea for a get together. Or last minute supper.

You girls rock! Hugs, Sherry

PCovi said...

Ohhhhh girllsss!!!
I've been craving something quichy and this fits the bill.
Love your baskets!
I have some similar. (long story, I'll tell it sometime)

The Farmers Daughter said...

Oh! Those look so good. I'm writing down the recipe right now! We take picnic lunches with us all the time--fast food makes me literally ill.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails