Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Designing for Life

Kari & Kijsa have asked everyone to share their thoughts on "Designing for Life" so we here we go:
One of our favorite rooms in Karla's house is the living room. It is one of her favorites because - it is so close to being done - the only thing she needs in it is something for on one wall....but that wall doesn't bother her - She knows that we'll find the perfect thing some day. One of our top design philosophies is to never - I repeat NEVER purchase anything that you don't love!
There are not one, not two, but four beautiful stained glass windows in her home. They are all the "inspiration pieces" that we pulled the color from for each room. The living room's stained glass has just a small round, pomegranate colored glass in it - so this is what we chose for the wall color. It took about a year to come up with the wallpaper - but having patience pays off - no need to want to tear it down in four of five years - this is on for a good 20+ years!!

One of the major reasons that this is such a special room is the fireplace. Imagine it white - this is what she had when she moved in. We haven't figured out when it was painted to cover the quarter-sawn oak, but it was white for the thirty plus years that her husband's family lived here. It took Karla almost a year to finish stripping the paint off, repairing the damaged dental on the detail of the fireplace, and getting all of the remaining paint out of the groves on the fireplace, the bench, and the back wood panels. All of that work was totally worth it!

Up on the fireplace Karla has put some of her collection of fruit plates. Two of these plates were our grandmothers. We especially love the colors of them, they bring all of the colors that are used in the room, together - all in one spot!




Across from the fireplace is a table that holds fun treasures that Karla likes to switch out now and then. Right now it has her picture of the three wise men that she got on her vacation in February. You'll see a McCoy bird planter - one of her favorite finds while we were out and about! One of our other design philosophies is to bring in "quirky" elements to a room. Mixing old things, family heirlooms or anything that adds personality to make your house reflect you.

Both of us consider ourselves traditional/eclectic girls. We love English and French Country most - and love adding a hint of the outdoors inside our homes. However...we LOVE the cool, calm white look of a cottage look (we've decided that it doesn't "fit" our homes....so we will do that when we get a cottage along the lake together - no we haven't informed the Mr.'s yet!!)

Stop on over to Kari & Kijsa's blog to see all of the neat designing for life posts by everyone!

18 comments:

Tiffany said...

You guys have some neat stuff in your homes. I LOVE that stained glass and the wood work. I would never have the patience to do that much work, but it looks like it really paid off. :)

CMB said...

what a great fireplace, are those glass tiles on the surround?

Unknown said...

I consider myself traditionally eclectic, too! I have a lot of quirky family items that don't necessarily go together by style or era, but all work together. Love your McCoy bird dish!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Oh, what a pretty room you have! I love stained glass and all of the vintage stuff too. That bird McCoy planter is just delightful...I'd love to find one of those.

Thank you girls for stopping by to see me.

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Very nice! I love the rich colors you have in the room.

Jillian

SummerAnytime said...

What a warm and inviting home, especially perfect for fall and Christmas decorating! You both have beautiful taste! I'll be visiting soon.(I'm adding you to my blogroll) Take care, Becky

roseroomnz.com said...

What a beautiful, beautiful rich looking room! Rachaelxo

Maria (also Bia) said...

All those colors are so warm and inviting! I love your idea of introducing something quirky into a room.

I also love your cottage by the lake plan; as for me...I am hoping for a farmhouse in Tuscany and my husband doesn't know it yet, either!

B. said...

LOVE that china and fruit plates!! and I can hardly work Mr Linky too!!!

Unknown said...

The stained glass windows are beautiful!

I really like your fireplace...ours is very similar!

kari and kijsa said...

Absolutely beautiful!!! We love a mix of eclectic, especially when there are personal stories behind them!! The mantel is stunning...worth the incredible effort it must have taken...and your collection of plates (and that great McCoy planter is fabulous. We love to show momentos from our travels...and your painting is a great example! Beautiful!!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Beneath the Eaves said...

I love the colors and how you put it all together. The stained glass is just stunning. I can see why you love these rooms!!!!! Just beautiful.
DEbra

Unknown said...

Oh how I love the warm peaceful feel and that space echoes a nice calm peace. I love it!

Blessings - Debbie

windycorner said...

I agree with the don't buy it unless you love it philosophy. Whenever I weaken and break that rule, I regret it later. Gorgeous fireplace mantel - that must have been a bear to refinish.
Holley

Vee said...

Very pretty and elegant! Everything looks so nice.

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

What a beautiful room! I love the fireplace and mantle...what a job!! And of course the stained glass...amazing!!!

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

Very pretty!! Thanks for sharing.

Alice said...

Oh, how beautiful! I admire the perseverance it took to remove the white paint. My beautiful hand-grained woodwork is painted over in most parts of the house. At least they left the main stairway and entrance untouched.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails